Sir Snackalot (Big Fat Liar)

Welcome to Sir Snackalot. It is my intention to talk about issues which interest fat people or formerly (temporarily thinner?) fat people.

Nothing is off limits, for most of us it is a day to day battle, come read and share and lets all enrich our lives.



Sunday, May 17, 2009

Injury setback, be more careful.

Recently I joined a soccer team. Many of the players were 20+ years younger than me. However, having lived in England and feeling that through soccer osmosis, that gives me special soccer skills. Coupled with the fact I see my self as JTN (Johnny Tough Nuts), I felt I could compete. In my first game I did fine, even scoring a goal. However, towards the end of my first game, while passing the ball (which resulted in a goal, I might add modestly), my cleat (studs as we say in UK) got caught in the artificial turf. I felt an obnoxious noise and a pain in my groin. The following morning I had more sever pain in my hamstring and a huge brusie down my leg. I found out later that i had pulled the groin and torn the hamstring. So what does this have to do withe weight loss you might ask. Well basically I am out of excercise action for 5 weeks. So will I baloon up to my old weight or get depressed and eat like a hog?

I took a week of icing, elevating and resting, except for the 8 hrs a day at a trade show. A week later I began to walk each a.m. slowly, very short distances. I went to gym to walk on the track and did situps and upper body stuff, just to keep up the habit. Today I used the spinning bike with no resistance. (This is all under the PT guys advice).

Perhaps more importantly I went back to keeping a food diary. After a day of wallowing in self pity and driving wifey mad, I decided to take action. So, I have been eating very carefully, depriving myself of anything remotely good. Is this a good long term plan? Probbaly not, it would just lead to binging. However, it seemed like a smart strategy during this non excercise period.

The strictness of the food diary and the choices I have made in the last 2 weeks, food wise have really made me feel better and in more control of both my injury and weight. I have not balooned up and I am thrilled. I am now seeing this injury as a minor setback, a time to rejuviante and an opportunity to start running again in a very gradual way.

So injuries, don't need to be all bad. In my case, its a pain, but by having some control over my intake and being super strict has turned it ito a relatively positive experience. Albeit an experience I hope never to repeat.

1 comment:

  1. Remain positive and keep strong!! I know you can do it.

    ReplyDelete